Jeannie Mills Pwerle
Utopia artist Jeannie Mills Pwerle has her traditional country at Irrwelty and Atnwengerrp, and has been part of the main painting group for over 25 years. Jeannie Mills Pwerle was a contributing artist to the first Utopia project where women painted their stories onto canvas. This exhibition, held in 1989 and titled ‘Utopia Women’s Paintings, the First Works on Canvas, A Summer Project’ was a turning point for the group of Utopia artists.
For the past decade the artists had developed their skills in the realm of batik making, bringing their traditional stories and designs to decorate dyed textile fabrics. By developing the skills of layered colours built up on the fabric from lightest to darkest, the artists had a great facility which allowed them to bring new approaches to painting when they started working with acrylic on canvas.
The artists also used their skill of building up layers to create veils of colour through which the underlying colours could be seen. The stylistic inventions that came from this shared history by the artists was the beginning of a new creative burst of painting that established Utopia artists at the forefront of popular artistic success in the Aboriginal art sphere.
- National Gallery of Australia, Canberra
- Holmes à Court Collection, Perth
- Mbantua Gallery Private Collection, Alice Springs
- 1989 Utopia Women’s Paintings, the First Works on Canvas, A Summer Project
- 1990 Utopia – A Picture Story, an exhibition of 88 works on silk from the Holmes à Court
- Collection by Utopia artists, which toured Eire and Scotland
- 1993 Central Australian Aboriginal Art and Craft Exhibition, Araluen Centre, Alice Springs.
- 1995 Mbantua Gallery, Alice Springs, NT
- 2002 Art and Soul Gallery, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
- 2002 The Cove Gallery, Portland, Oregon USA (Benefit – OHSU Heart Research Centre)
- 2002 Urban Wine Works, Portland, Oregon USA (Benefit – OHSU Heart Research Centre)
- 2002 Mary’s Woods, Portland, Oregon USA (Benefit – OHSU Heart Research Centre)
- 2004 Last of the 20th Century, Mbantua Gallery, Alice Springs NT
- 2006 Colours of Utopia, Japingka Gallery, Fremantle WA
- 2008 Utopia Collection, Japingka Gallery, Fremantle WA
- 2009 Desert Miniatures, Japingka Gallery, Fremantle WA
- 2010 Summer Collection, Japingka Gallery, Fremantle WA
- 2012 Little Gems, Japingka Gallery, Fremantle WA
- 2014 Small Works Collection, Japingka Gallery, Fremantle WA